~ est. ~
Complaints handling policy
Code of practice for patient complaints
In this practice we take complaints very seriously and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives.
- The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service which we provide is Jennie Overton, our complaints manager.
- If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to their complaint and offer to refer him or her to the Complaints Manager immediately. If the Complaints Manager is not available at the time, then the patient will be told when they will be able to talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made for this to happen. The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
- If a patient complains in writing, the letter or email will be passed on immediately to the Complaints Manager. If the complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
- We acknowledge the patient’s complaint in writing and enclose a copy of this code of practice as soon as possible, normally within 3 working days.
- We will seek to investigate the complaint within 14 working days of receipt to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If the patient does not wish to meet us, then we will attempt to talk to them on the telephone. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within 14 working days we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period wihin which the investigation will be completed.
- We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation and keep comprehensive records on the matter.
If you are not satisfied with the result of our Complaints Handling Policy then further action can be discussed with the following:
- Care Quality Commission – Finsbury Tower, 103-105 Bunhill Row, London EC1Y 8TG. Telephone: 03000 616161
- Dental Complaints Service – Stephenson House, 2 Cherry Orchard Road, Croyden CR0 6BA. Telephone: 08456 120540
- The General Dental Council – 37 Wimpole Street, London SW10 4QP. Telephone: 0845 222 4141
- Parliamentary and Heath Service Ombudsman – Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP. Telephone 0345 105 4033